Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation


District Office


Ajax Loading Image


October 27 Winter Weather

Greenback Family,


With the winter weather upon us I want to give some insight into our decision-making process for delays and cancellations.  First, we do understand the hardship on some parents when we make a decision to delay the start of school or cancel for the day.  Maintaining a consistent start time and an open school offers some safety benefits, especially for our younger learners, that balances against road conditions. 


To assess current conditions, we drive our roads and communicate with other neighboring school districts.  We refer to NOAA, Weather.com, and WeatherBug for up-to-date weather forecasts.  Weather forecasting, of course, is notoriously inconsistent, especially with the timing of bad weather. 


We will sometimes announce a 1-hour delay for the next morning when poor road conditions are forecasted in order to give us additional time for assessment and preparation while also giving some predictability for parents.  The trick is to not use the delay and push the morning commute into worsening conditions--that is a tough call sometimes.  When we issue a morning delay 10 hours or more in advance, there is always the possibility that the morning assessment will lead to an extension of the delay or a cancellation for the day.  For any school delay or cancellation, we will issue a school messenger text/call first.  Second, we will call it into KAKE and KWCH.  Finally, as always, safety is most important, and we trust our parents to make decisions on these types of mornings if the conditions in your area are more severe than what we saw in our early morning scout.




Tony Helfrich


Pratt Schools USD 382